Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Straight But Not Narrow

I saw this cartoon today, and wanted to share it:


I am a heterosexual man, very happily married, and I have never understood what this vague "threat" is that gay marriage is supposed to present to the institution of marriage. Why should I want to deny to anyone else the happiness that I have experienced? The arguments that we hear today against marriage equality are, indeed, strikingly similar to those that the husband and father in the cartoon heard when he fell in love with his wife. And I have no doubt that in the near future, those arguments will sound just as inane and outdated when applied to gay marriage as they did in the past when they were applied to interracial marriage.

Of course, to some of us, they already do.

No comments:

Post a Comment