Friday, March 23, 2012

My Letter To Scotts Miracle-Gro

Following up on my earlier post on Scotts Miracle-Gro's deliberate poisoning of birds with their birdseed products, I have sent the following email to the company. If you would like to contact Scotts Miracle-Gro, you can do so here.


Dear Scotts Miracle-Gro Company,


I am writing to express my outrage at finding out that your company knowingly and deliberately sold poisoned bird seed during the years 2007 and 2008.


I am a wildlife enthusiast who has occasionally used your products in the past. Later this spring I will be moving into a home with my family. I am looking forward to working in the yard and garden, and to feeding birds and squirrels in the yard. I can promise that I will never use your company's products.


You have not only deliberately and knowingly caused the deaths of birds, rodents, squirrels, and whatever other living things have eaten your poison. You have also betrayed the thousands of people who bought your products out of their love of wildlife. It sickens me to think that I may have used your birdseed during the time that you were polluting it with your poison, and that any animals may have suffered and died as a result.


You should be ashamed. But then, I'm sure you couldn't care less as long as the profits keep rolling in. I just hope that this matter will be publicized enough that you lose a substantial number of customers.


I have blogged on this matter at http://newsforsquirrels.blogspot.com/2012/03/scotts-miracle-gro-sold-poison-bird.html


and tweeted @squirrelbeebz and will continue to do my part to make sure that your callous disregard for wildlife is publicized.


Oh, and I didn't know until today that your company is a distributor of Monsanto's consumer Roundup, which is another reason to never do business with you again.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this! I can't tell you how much it sickened me when I saw this. Unfortunately, this hasn't gotten out as much as it needs to. A few environmental blogs have picked up on this story but no major news coverage as of yet. We really need someone to take this story and begin a true boycott of Scotts. The company is a lawn and garden giant. They are everywhere... and primarily Home Depot, Lowe's and Walmart. I wrote a letter to both Walmart and Home Depot to stop carrying their bird food.

    Thank you for publicizing this and I hope you keep it up!

    ReplyDelete